That most English of things... tea. I must admit to drinking a lot of it. My preferred brand is, of course, Yorkshire Tea, processed and packed in Yorkshire, though - contrary to some of the jokey adverts - it isn't grown here! They source it (apparently) from farms in India and Africa.
I was amused to see this poster (below) in a local café, playing on the endless debate about what 'colour' your cup of tea should be. I've a friend who prefers it somewhere between the second and the third cup on the chart. That's much too weak for me and I let her add her own milk and pour from the newly filled teapot. (I always use a teapot!) Then I let the pot stand and brew for a few minutes more as I like mine nearer to the fifth cup. The ones on the bottom row are commonly called 'builders' tea'. Perhaps strong men like a strong brew. I had to look up 'Hendo's' - it apparently refers to 'Hendersons Relish', a spicy and fruity relish produced in Sheffield that's similar in appearance to Worcestershire Sauce. I'm not actually sure you could get a mug of tea to look as dark as the last two, certainly not with milk in it. Some people do drink it black, without milk, of course.
It's been interesting to watch my granddaughters' progression towards tea. They were not offered it as little children and always preferred warm milk, even when they graduated from bottles and sippy cups. Maybe two or three years ago, the older one moved on to enjoying tea, and now makes quite a decent brew herself. The younger one still seems to prefer milk or juice but will sometimes try a cup of weak, milky tea. It must be an age thing!


My neighbour takes her Yorkshire tea like me, no milk straight out of the pot before it brews in. a bone china mug. . We’ve agreed we could actually share one teabag and it would last all week.
ReplyDelete