Earlier posts

Earlier posts
This blog is a continuation of an older one. To explore previous posts please click the photo above.

Wednesday, 2 September 2026

Casualty


I set off to walk to Bingley along the canal towpath and I hadn't gone far when I came across this big tree branch lying across the path. Thankfully you could climb over it, so it wasn't a complete blockage, though people on bikes were having a bit of difficulty getting across and I wouldn't have liked to try and lift a child in a pushchair over it. Thankfully too, there was no-one trapped underneath it! I've never witnessed a tree actually falling so I have no idea how quickly it happens or with what noise. Would you have time to jump out of the way? You do hear of people killed by falling trees. It's a scary thought that you could be hurt just walking along through the woods or on the canal or riverside. The scar on the tree itself suggests that the limb was hollow inside. It does seem to me that there are many more fallen trees and branches around lately and I guess it has a lot to do with the stress that nature is under these days, with climate change, heatwaves, drought and then very wet winters. 

No comments:

Post a Comment