Earlier posts

Earlier posts
This blog is a continuation of an older one. To explore previous posts please click the photo above.

Thursday, 24 September 2026

Festival fun #2

 

At the entrance to Roberts Park, I came across these three young musicians busking. Their music stand says 'Francis McCann Music' and I think he's a local musician, possibly from Ilkley. They sounded good to me. 

There was a whole programme of musicians scheduled to perform in the park bandstand. This lady was Cheryl Holland, who describes herself as 'a sober dance music vocalist and DJ from Leeds, who writes uplifting, positive music'. Well, we can all do with lots of that. I only caught the last song of her set but I enjoyed it very much.

Good Rhythm Drumming Circles had taken over one of the park shelters and were inviting anyone to join them in playing the djembe drums. I even had a go myself. I couldn't hear the sound of my own drum against the others (though I could feel its vibration) which made it hard to find the rhythm but it was a few minutes of good fun. They work in the community, in care homes and schools, to celebrate the collective and bring enjoyment and laughter. Circles of Joy!

The two young ladies below were both doing a great job of picking up the beat. 

At the other end of the promenade, 400 Roses were dancing to music played by their band, t’Thorns. They are a unique group of tribal folk fusion dancers from Yorkshire and Lancashire, blending UK-style folk dance with tribal belly dance moves.  It's always fun to watch and they too had attracted quite a crowd. 

No comments:

Post a Comment