Whilst in Pateley Bridge I wanted to find the sculpture 'Pillars Past', which I'd read about. Deeply set among trees, along what used to be a railway line, it proved a little tricky to 'track down'! (Pateley Bridge is no longer served by rail. The single track branch line, opened in 1862 to carry freight and passengers, finally closed in 1964.) The sculpture is set on what used to be the locomotive turntable.
The sculpture was designed and carved by local sculptor Joseph Hayton, as part of the ‘Way of the Roses’ public art trail. It consists of three two-metre tall figures emerging from rough sandstone pillars: a shepherd, a lead miner and a monk representing the agricultural, mining and monastic heritage of the area. It was installed in 2014. I liked it very much, although its position under trees means it has become a bit discoloured.
On a previous trip to Pateley Bridge, I visited the sculptor's studio. Here he is, with models of the figures in the background.





No comments:
Post a Comment