Earlier posts

Earlier posts
This blog is a continuation of an older one. To explore previous posts please click the photo above.

Friday 12 January 2024

Cherubic tears


One of the reasons I love exploring our great cathedrals and minsters is that, although they are grand and packed full of significant and often breathtaking architecture, stained glass, plaques and monuments to the great and good, they also have lots of touches of humour and pathos. Wandering around York Minster this time, I started to notice all the weeping cherubs. There must have been a time when these were very trendy to have on monuments. Aww. 



There was also an imposing lady with a cross, a sword and... a pigeon on her head! I'm not at all sure why.

3 comments:

  1. Perhaps they were thinking that if the statue had been outside...pigeons would definitely be there? Love the weeping cherubs! Poor little dears. I wonder if it signified the memorial was made by a child/children survivors of the deceased.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'll have to keep my eyes open when I see a cherub.

    ReplyDelete