Earlier posts

Earlier posts
This blog is a continuation of an older one. To explore previous posts please click the photo above.

Wednesday 31 January 2024

Blocked


Everything is blocked! The purchase of my new flat is still stalled, and I have as yet no idea of a moving date. I'm sure it won't be too long now and suddenly everything will be frantic but right now I'm still twiddling my thumbs and trying to keep myself occupied. After a day of heavy rain on Monday, Tuesday was brighter so I went for a walk. Salts Mill is closed on Tuesdays so the paths through the mill yard were blocked. The canal towpath is blocked off for repairs. 

Walking across the footbridge into the park, I could see the river was pretty high, though just about within its banks. 



Up at Hirst Weir, the river had overtopped the bank and looked as though it was now receding a little, leaving huge puddles to reflect the blue sky. The ducks were exploring beyond where they can normally go. 


The depth marker was almost submerged. (I wouldn't fancy living in that house opposite. I presume they have some flood barriers but it still looks quite vulnerable.) A man walking his dog reported that the riverside path was impassable unless you had wellies. I didn't, so I turned round and went back.... Blocked at every turn! 

3 comments:

  1. That's a good theme for your blog, but I'm sorry to hear so many directions seem blocked today. I woke up and realized I hadn't even opened my January paper calendar...and here it's the last day of the month. I guess I didn't need it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I hope that you don't get any more rain for a while.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ah. So still not moving as of yet. (Now that I'm 78 with some decline, I'm thinking of moving myself, but it does seem daunting.) Well, you have stayed busy with fine photos. I think I remember the view of the second photo when the river was quite out of its banks.

    ReplyDelete