Earlier posts

Earlier posts
This blog is a continuation of an older one. To explore previous posts please click the photo above.

Monday, 21 September 2026

Gently flows the river


Last Monday morning, my plan was to spend much of the day catching up on household chores, neglected because I've been out and about a lot. But... it was such a beautiful day that it seemed criminal to stay indoors. The joy of retirement is that, within reason, you can do exactly as you like. So Plan A was ditched and Plan B followed... a drive to Bolton Abbey and a walk through the early autumnal woods. 


We've had some rain but not really a great deal. The River Wharfe was flowing gently and its surface was mirror-like. 


The Strid Gorge was slightly fuller than last time I visited about a month ago, but by no means as full as it sometimes gets. It's astonishing that the wide and mighty river narrows here to just a couple of meters across as it churns through the rocks. 



It was a blissful walk - my soul was singing - and I made the most of every minute. It's such a privilege to be within easy striking distance of all these beautiful places. I saw this quote (below) on someone else's blog (Barbara?) and thought it was wonderful. I am so deeply grateful for my life and circumstances. 

5 comments:

  1. Du bist wirklich privilegiert, dass du in einer so wunderbaren Landschaft leben kannst. Ich würde auch jede freie Zeit dort am Fluss verbringen.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This post of yours resonates with me on various levels. When you say "It was a blissful walk - my soul was singing" I know exactly what you mean, and those early autumn colours in the woods around Bolton Abbey are simply magical. Well done for going there - it would really have been criminal to stay indoors on such a day!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wonderful thoughts and photos...I love the Vonnegut quote but don't remember posting it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm glad you followed your heart. Household chores are always with us so they can wait.

    ReplyDelete