Earlier posts

Earlier posts
This blog is a continuation of an older one. To explore previous posts please click the photo above.

Tuesday 19 March 2024

All the fun of the fair


My daughter and youngest granddaughter came over to inspect progress on my apartment. The little one eventually got a bit bored by talk of decor and plans for a new bathroom, so we took pity on her and went out. We ended up at the garden centre where, as I've mentioned before on my blog, there is an old-fashioned 'Penny Arcade' full of slot machines and peepshows such as you used to find on seaside piers back in the day. £1 coin into a machine delivers a handful of old copper pennies and we managed to get ourselves quite a few more on some of the machines, by hitting the jackpot. I did quite well on the 'coin pusher' game. 

We watched Sooty's Band, a little animated puppet show featuring Sooty the bear, Sweep the dog and Soo the panda, which used to be on TV when I was a child. 


There are all sorts of weird animated scenes. M was fascinated by Frank N Stine, which eventually revealed a mermaid in the box - 'a monster of the deep'! 

As for me, I can now bear the Laughing characters. This one was 'Mick, the Jolly Gardener'. When I was child these used to make me cry! 



We all had our fortunes told by 'a gypsy'. Mine was fairly boring but the card my daughter received had us in stitches. (Obviously no-one told the gypsy that Charles is now King.) Can't wait for Thursday! Pretend to look surprised. 😂


7 comments:

  1. Just how long does she intend to stand at this bus stop???

    ReplyDelete
  2. What fun! I haven't seen anything like this and would probably need a kid with me to enjoy it like you all did.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh, that looks like so much fun for a child!

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a great treat that turned out to be for all of you.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Those are entertainments of yore which are still pretty funny. The fortune is slightly out of date though....Only by a bit over a year. But the fortune itself is so exciting that can be overlooked.

    ReplyDelete
  6. It's a great idea for showing children how we entertained ourselves as kids.

    ReplyDelete
  7. That penny arcade looked like a fun way to spend time with family even if the fortune was a bit out of date.

    ReplyDelete