Earlier posts

Earlier posts
This blog is a continuation of an older one. To explore previous posts please click the photo above.

Monday 18 March 2024

Reorientating


I've only moved about half a mile from my old house to my new apartment yet it's odd how that has reshaped my local world. It's all familiar territory but setting off from a different place means subtle adjustments to my route, whether on foot or by car, with new views of familiar things to be enjoyed. I've always been able to look up to Baildon Moor and the wonderfully named Hope Hill in the distance. From this new place, higher up the other side of the valley, I look across to it - and indeed can see it from my flat's balcony, which I'm thrilled about as I love this view. 

I can also see the church tower from my windows and have to go around either the front or back of it to get to the main road, shops and down into Saltaire village. 

The house at the far side of the road junction (on the photo above) is now an estate agent's office. Built in 1866, it marks the southwest corner of Saltaire village. It is the only detached house in the entire village and was once the home of the chief cashier of Salts Mill. Its history is documented HERE. The road junction, incidentally, is universally known by locals as 'Saltaire roundabout', though the roundabout disappeared a few years ago and was replaced by traffic lights. 

So far I have not forgotten where I now live and arrived back at my old house... but I wouldn't put that past me! I often have to sit and think about exactly which way I have to go to get to where I'm heading from here. 

3 comments:

  1. That is a beautiful tower!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I find when I am driving I can go into autopilot and end up at home when I meant to go somewhere else first. You are really close to your old home.

    ReplyDelete
  3. What do ya' know...you've elevated yourself in life!

    ReplyDelete