Earlier posts

Earlier posts
This blog is a continuation of an older one. To explore previous posts please click the photo above.

Thursday 13 April 2023

Sheeps!


Three sheep (or sheeps as my granddaughters would have said when they were little) popped their heads over a wall to have a good look at us as we walked past their field. It was Easter Sun-day, dry and mild even if not especially Sun-ny. After the necessary Easter Egg Hunt around the garden (during which my eldest grandie was heard to question the provenance of the eggs as being from M&S!  Does the Easter Bunny shop at M&S?), my granddaughters returned to their books and games, whilst my daughter and I took their dog for a walk. You can't go far in Calderdale without a steep climb so it was a good workout - and coming back down into the valley is always easier, at least on the heart and lungs, if not the thigh muscles! 9000+ footsteps, according to my phone. I felt I could justify some Easter Egg chocolate after that! 

Luckily Cookie, the dog, is amenable to being on a lead when necessary. It is necessary at lambing time, and there were quite a few lambs around. I love the old footpaths, paved with stone slabs. Countless feet must have tramped along here over the years - to work, to market, to school, to church or simply for a stroll in the fresh air as we were doing. 

Our route took us down to cross Colden Water over Jack Bridge, an ancient clapper bridge. There used to be a steam-powered cotton mill here from the 1860s to the early 20th century and the mill was demolished following a fire in the 1970s. Nowadays it's a tranquil little beauty spot much loved by locals and the crossing is part of the Pennine Way long-distance footpath.  



By the way, my daughter created this very acceptable long exposure shot (above) using my iPhone. I have a Slow Shutter app but the results aren't that good. The way she showed me uses the 'Live View' mode (which is effectively a tiny video) and then converts it to a long exposure. Magic. If only I can remember how to do it the next time I want to use it! 

2 comments: