Earlier posts

Earlier posts
This blog is a continuation of an older one. To explore previous posts please click the photo above.

Saturday 29 April 2023

Peace

I went to a family funeral yesterday, a much-loved member of my parents' generation who lived to just 20 days short of his 97th birthday, though sadly suffering from dementia in the last few years. 'A good life, well-lived' sums it up; may he rest in peace. The funeral was in County Durham so I had an early start and a long drive. As always, it was lovely to catch up with family members I haven't seen for a while. By the time I got home, however, having negotiated the pre-Bank Holiday weekend traffic and the ubiquitous roadworks (where there is hardly ever anyone actually working, to justify the  - in this case - eight miles of traffic cones and a speed limit, followed by a 20 minute jam at temporary traffic lights), I was exhausted and inwardly screaming. Gone are the days when you might have 'a drive' just for the sheer pleasure of it! 

A cup of tea and something to eat settled me somewhat and, since it was a lovely evening, I then went for a short walk. Enjoying the golden rays of the setting sun restored my equilibrium and brought me peace.  

It is currently staying light until almost 9pm, so evening walks are back on the menu. I enjoy how the low sun illuminates things differently so I literally see familiar places 'in a new light'. 



4 comments:

  1. Great light to capture such sweet scenes, that last should be a Valentine card!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love an evening walk in the summer. It is light here until about 8 pm here.
    There is no going out for a nice drive anymore.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm sorry for your loss. I missed my father's funeral, as I came down so sick that I wouldn't have been able to travel.

    ReplyDelete