Earlier posts

Earlier posts
This blog is a continuation of an older one. To explore previous posts please click the photo above.

Wednesday 19 April 2023

Four abstracts


One day I challenged myself to find some 'different' views of Saltaire's familiar places. These are some of the images I created. They could be called 'abstracts', since they might fit the definition of 'relating to or denoting art that does not attempt to represent external reality, but rather seeks to achieve its effect using shapes, colours, and textures'. They are also about:  extracting or removing (something, from its context). It's a way of playing, anyway, and freeing myself so that I might find something new in this small place where I have lived for almost a quarter of a century and where I have photographed extensively for the past fifteen years. 

The top image is reflections in the canal of Salts Mill and the last remaining walkway that spans the canal, linking Salts Mill with the New Mill. 

Below is shadows cast by the church's gates.  


Then, less abstract and not 'new' in itself as this is one of the perennial subjects I return to - reflections of trees in water. Yet it never stays the same for more than a second, as the water swirls, and the cloud patterns and the light change.  

 

And finally,  a variation of the top image, pushing myself to be a bit more creative: 


5 comments:

  1. The shadow gate is my favourite.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What fun...and without the descriptions, they stand alone as art!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I like them all but especially the shadow of the gate.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I like all your efforts. I always think there must be a lot more photos of shadows just waiting for me to notice them.

    ReplyDelete