Earlier posts

Earlier posts
This blog is a continuation of an older one. To explore previous posts please click the photo above.

Saturday 15 April 2023

Appreciation

 
It was such a lovely day and such a relief to have sunshine after March's near constant drizzle. After walking down from the moor, having found a café in Burley in Wharfedale for a reviving cup of tea, I decided to walk a little further down to the river.  It's a pleasant stroll, though muddy. Last time I ventured this way, they were planning to convert the former textile mill, Greenholme Mill, into housing. This is now well underway, with some new houses almost complete and the mill itself converted into luxury apartments, currently for sale, for around a cool half million pounds! (See HERE) It's a huge project but will create some lovely new homes - though perhaps the residents of the few older properties in this area won't be that pleased to have a big development on their doorstep after living in tranquility for years. I didn't take photos of the new development as there were still hoardings and construction stuff blocking the view. 

On Facebook recently, I've come across a group called 'The Gate Appreciation Society', dedicated to posting photos of gates - beautiful, interesting, hideous or just plain amusing. With a renewed interest in gates (!) I found a couple of examples on my walk. The one above is just a fragment, hanging on for dear life to its gatepost but apparently at one time a rather ornate entrance. The one below is a typical farmer's response to a crumbling dry stone wall...  random metal 'borrowed' from somewhere else, all held together with baler twine. I'm sure the wall will be repaired eventually but it could be some time. I don't know actually if that would qualify as a 'gate' but never mind! 


I eventually arrived at the River Wharfe where it tumbles over Burley Weir, a rather splendid, stepped crescent structure. The river was quite full so there was no space to get round and photograph the weir from the bottom, as you sometimes can in drier times. No matter; this shot from above is quite pleasant. 

4 comments:

  1. They're about to start building on a field near me. I'm ambivalent about it - I don't look forward to the noise of the builders, but the extra population may help to keep the village shop and other amenities operating. Without baler twine the whole British countryside would fall apart!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your third shot is my favourite.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love the shot of the weir, especially since the water looks like water. When photographers take longer shots to make water blur it just gives me the willies. (I assume English has the same phrase. I'm always surprised at the word hoardings...as it's not used for the same thing in America, where we would refer to someone with piles of stuff in his house, or at least a lot of money in the bank.)

    ReplyDelete
  4. They are building condos all around us and everyone says that it will be good for the local businesses but for some reason that is not the case. The new residents head out to farther areas.

    ReplyDelete