Earlier posts

Earlier posts
This blog is a continuation of an older one. To explore previous posts please click the photo above.

Friday 10 March 2023

Steampunks







I hopped over to Bradford Industrial Museum the other weekend, partly to have another look round because I find it so fascinating, and partly because there was a Steampunk event advertised. It was a freezing cold day so those taking part were all huddled indoors chatting. It made it a bit difficult to take photos as the light inside is inevitably quite poor. Busy backgrounds and narrow galleries added to the challenge.  I always feel a bit rude interrupting people and asking for a photo too, even though that's really why they are there. All in all, a bit of an ordeal! Haha. But it's good to force myself out of my comfort zone occasionally. 

Steampunk is 'a sub-genre of science fiction that incorporates retrofuturistic (!) technology and aesthetics inspired by 19th century steam-powered machinery.' Its vibe sits very well with the Industrial Museum, which is of course full of references to our local industrial past - the mills, machinery and transport of that era. The participants often have really elaborate costumes, adorned with weird paraphernalia like metal cogs, lots of medals and chains. They usually look very smart and the gentlemen often sport facial hair that is precisely trimmed and twisted. I didn't know 'beard brooches' were a thing! (see left and below!) 

All good fun anyway; the steampunks seems to be enjoying the event. 






5 comments:

  1. I always wonder what such people do in real life!

    ReplyDelete
  2. It is quite a genre that makes for good photo Ops.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great costumes. I see them on FaceBook sometimes because I "liked" one of their photos. I definitely like yours!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Nice photos, they are well attired in true Steampunk style. Great to see

    ReplyDelete
  5. They look great. It was a fun day for everyone I'm sure.

    ReplyDelete