Earlier posts

Earlier posts
This blog is a continuation of an older one. To explore previous posts please click the photo above.

Tuesday 28 March 2023

Brimham Rocks #2

The amazing rock formations at Brimham are thought to have been formed 325 million years ago. That's 100 million years before the first dinosaurs walked the earth! (There was a time when they were assumed to have been carved by druids.) They are made of millstone grit, a coarse grainy sandstone that was deposited by immense rivers, before being exposed and weathered by glaciers, water and wind.  

Over the years many of them have acquired names, though it's often hard to see exactly which rock is referred to. Those above, I think, include the Anvil and the Porpoise Head. I know the one below, miraculously balanced on a tiny point, is the Idol Stone. A similar balanced stone was pushed over and smashed by vandals a few years ago... so these will not last forever, whether eroded by weather or by mindless idiots! 

This one is called The Dancing Bear - maybe you can see its head and snout. 

Not sure of the name of these but, from one angle, they looked to be having a smooch. You can imagine all sorts into the shapes - I see a dog's head there on the right. 

Maybe a dinosaur's head? 

Somewhere in this region is one known as the Druid's Writing Desk. I thought it may be this one below, which certainly had a flat surface. Looking at photos online since I've come home, however, I don't think I'm correct. It's interesting how the rocks appear from different angles. Looking one way you can immediately see the 'character' and from another direction it looks like... well... just a rock!  


It is a fascinating place to wander. Children love it, plenty of scope for climbing. I have a photo of my granddaughters sitting in a hole in a rock where I have a similar photo of their mother, my daughter, sitting when she was little. Happily for families ( and my camera club outing!) there is a small refreshment kiosk and toilets in the centre of the site, so chance for a rest and an ice cream when needed. 

3 comments:

  1. I've always enjoyed seeing ancient rock formations. These are great...and I also hope the balanced one stays that way for a few more lifetimes of humans.

    ReplyDelete
  2. These rocks are fascinating to see.

    ReplyDelete