Earlier posts

Earlier posts
This blog is a continuation of an older one. To explore previous posts please click the photo above.

Monday 16 May 2022

Was that summer?

Saturday was FA Cup Final day here. (Liverpool v Chelsea. Liverpool won on penalties after extra time. A most enjoyable match.) It was a late kick-off at 16.45 so there was ample time for a stroll beforehand, which was lovely as it was a perfect spring day, sunny and warm. If I had it my way, we'd live in May all the time, since both nature and temperatures seem to me to be just right. (Though I suppose I would miss the changing seasons.)   

I was in Ilkley to watch the match on TV with a friend, and wandering there is as delightful as strolling around my own patch here in Saltaire. The River Wharfe was very low as we've had so little rain lately. There were lots of people enjoying the sunshine and paddling in the river. (I wouldn't especially recommend that, although apparently this side of the suspension bridge is about the safest place, at least in dry weather. Despite being a designated 'bathing river', there is an ongoing fight by local activists to prevent pollution from sewage effluent being discharged into the river through storm overflow, which is allowed.)  

The river skirts the foot of Middleton Woods, which is a notable site for bluebells and there were still a lot in flower, though somewhat past their best. 

The view downstream from the old packhorse bridge in the town is verdant and lovely - and there is a very good ice cream stall by the bridge. Yum! You always wonder if these lovely bright days are the last we're going to see of the warm sun, though I'm pretty sure I'll find another lovely day and another ice cream at some point. 

1 comment: