Earlier posts

Earlier posts
This blog is a continuation of an older one. To explore previous posts please click the photo above.

Saturday 21 May 2022

Hidden spaces


I have no shame when it comes to taking photographs, so I hope the owners of this attractive garden will forgive my intrusive lens poking over their garden wall. I was walking down Hirst Mill Crescent, which is a rather delightful row of old houses and cottages - large and small - that appear to have grown in a hodge-podge fashion over many years. They are associated with the old Hirst Mill, at the bottom on the riverside, which was originally a fulling mill, where lengths of woven wool cloth were washed and pounded to felt them and make them sturdier and more windproof. (Incidentally, the cloths were then stretched and hung to dry on frames called tenters which is where the phrase 'being on tenterhooks' originated. You learn something every day!) Anyway, I just thought this garden, which is rather hidden away, looked charming. 

4 comments:

  1. Years ago I was out walking and I was curious as to what kind of garden lay on the other side of a high wall. This was long before tilting LCD screens, but I lifted the camera above my head and took a shot over the wall. When the slides came back from the processor there was a man with a hoe staring straight at the camera.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm laughing at John's comment. But also enjoyed the peek into that little garden, which has all kinds of things happening! And now I'm a bit more educated knowing what tenterhooks refers to!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Tenterhooks. Yes, we learn something new every day!

    ReplyDelete