Earlier posts

Earlier posts
This blog is a continuation of an older one. To explore previous posts please click the photo above.

Friday 13 May 2022

From both sides now

Hirst Mill is a familiar sight to me from the other side of the weir across the River Aire. (See HERE). Originally a corn mill stood here and the existing mid-19th century building may have been a fulling mill and also at one time manufactured flock bedding. On the weir side there is a 'ghost sign' that says 'washed flocks' and on this side, high up on the right apex, it appears to say 'The Beaver Sprin(g?) Bed'.  It is now private residential property, accessed from a narrow lane near Hirst Lock, so I've never been into it. When I saw that one of the apartments was open as part of this year's Arts Trail, I decided I'd have a walk down there and explore. 


The apartment that was open was on the ground floor, with a garden and deck right above the weir. It has a stunning outlook - and perhaps you get used to the sound of rushing waters - but I imagine the residents must have anxious times when the river is high. It has flooded occasionally. 



The resident artist is Nina Hunter, a fine art painter, art teacher and pianist. Her oil paintings celebrate 'the female as sacred and sensual energy, the Feminine Divine and the healing force in our masculine driven world'. I did rather like them; they were certainly powerful and arresting images. I also loved the bohemian feel of the apartment. Understated inside and with a conservatory overlooking the river, it almost flowed as one into the outdoor space. 


 

3 comments:

  1. How lovely. I admit to thinking the apt was open for sale! Oops! You do say an Art Trail! I need better glasses I guess. I do like her art too!








    ReplyDelete