Earlier posts

Earlier posts
This blog is a continuation of an older one. To explore previous posts please click the photo above.

Thursday 17 September 2020

Keighley Tarn


Since the pandemic began, I have taken to doing my supermarket food shopping in Sainsbury's in Keighley. It's less crowded, the aisles are more widely spaced and the staff disinfect the trolleys before giving them to you - so it all feels better and safer than Shipley Asda. I think it's more expensive overall but decided it is worth paying the extra for a nicer experience. I was setting off there one morning when the sun broke through and I suddenly decided to incorporate a photo trip into my errand. I'd recently learned that Keighley has a tarn... so I decided to drive up and find it. By the time I got there the sun had disappeared but I had a walk anyway. 

Like Ilkley Tarn, this lake is perched on a hill above the town. It is nowhere near as picturesque as Ilkley's little lake (see HERE) and yet it clearly serves a purpose for local residents, providing a pleasant destination for a walk just a short drive from the town centre. The information board says three circuits of the perimeter path add up to a mile, which may be an incentive for those who struggle to exercise. It's a decent level path too, accessible for wheelchairs and buggies. 


It was all quite pleasant, through not especially photogenic. There are glimpses of views, sheep in the neighbouring fields and lots of ducks and geese on the water. Originally known as Redcar Tarn, the area was popular in the late 1800s and early 1900s, for boating and the sailing of model boats. Being so high up, the water froze hard in the cold Victorian winters and attracted skaters. I wonder if that is still the case? We don't seem to get cold enough weather these days for skating to be an option on our canals or lakes. 

6 comments:

  1. Oh I beg to differ Jenny, the Keighley Tarn is super photogenic, your composition and the light here is tres jolie 💜

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very nice...I am used to thinking of "tam" as a hat, mainly worn by children.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Very photogenic with the right photographer! The first picture is so serene and the last one spoke to my heart.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Famous for horse racing Redcar lies on the North Yorkshire coast near Whitby. I am really curious how Redcar Tarn came by its name. Could it be taken from "Red Scar?" The Danish Vikings invaded 800 AD to create the Danlaw. Maybe Redcar is originally Scandinavian as are so many of our Yorkshire names?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Your wonderful photographs make every place more beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I think it looks lovely in your pics!

    ReplyDelete