Earlier posts

Earlier posts
This blog is a continuation of an older one. To explore previous posts please click the photo above.

Friday 9 September 2022

Rest in Peace


As I'm sure the entire world has by now heard, the death was announced yesterday of HM Queen Elizabeth II. 

She has been our Queen literally for the whole of my life, acceding to the throne in February 1952. I was born in June 1952 and one of the earliest photos I have in my album is of myself, not quite a year old, waving a Union Jack flag on her Coronation Day in June 1953. My middle name is Elizabeth, as was common for many girls born in the early 1950s.

I have always been glad to live in a constitutional monarchy, though inevitably it throws up almost as many issues as it solves. It seems to me to be the best situation - or perhaps Queen Elizabeth herself made it the best. Whatever you think, it's hard to fault her sense of duty and her work ethic. (Just two days ago she was graciously dealing with our latest change of PM. One can't help but think perhaps it was a bit much for her at the age of 96.) 

I only ever actually saw her once, when my daughter obtained tickets in a ballot in 2013 to watch the Garter Day Ceremony procession at Windsor Castle, a very memorable occasion. My main recollection is how tiny the Queen was! I almost missed seeing her, as those around her (like the Duke of Cambridge, shown in the photo) were so much taller than she.

I have usually watched the major, televised ceremonial events: the Jubilees, the State Openings of Parliament, the Remembrance Day commemorations, Trooping the Colour, the royal weddings and so on. (You can say what you like about Great Britain but we do 'ceremonial' extremely well!) I suppose the next couple of weeks will be full of tributes and then, of course, the State Funeral. No doubt the Commonwealth and world leaders will be sending their best mourning suits to the dry cleaners, as I write. The plans will have been in place for years, tweaked and revised as various things have happened. 

There will be much reflection - on a long life well-lived, with wise moves and occasional mistakes, on its privilege and its duty. There will be much speculation about the future. At the most basic level, we will have to learn to sing 'God Save the King' from this day forward. As it is, it seems yet another hammer blow to all that we know and love about our country. These last few years have been so tough and the Queen remained a constant and somehow comforting presence.  

Rest In Peace, your Majesty. I am thankful to have been alive throughout your reign, living in peace, with relative stability and prosperity. It know it's been a privilege and not something to take for granted. I am grateful. 

My thoughts and prayers are with the Queen's family and close friends. (Heartbreaking to me that William and Harry have had to go to Balmoral, which will surely only serve to bring up distressing memories of learning there of their mother's death.) 

God Save the King. 

5 comments:

  1. Very well said. She will be missed.

    I saw her here on her last time in Canada with Prince Philip. They were departing from our museum of nature following a dedication.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I liked how you focused on the future...it's been good to see the charts of lineage posted here on FB. Sort of an archaic system that royalty has, and only the UK has sustained. But I love it, from my ancestry loving heart, and I do feel sad that we've lost the wonderful lady.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ah. I was 7 years old at the coronation, and my best friend at that time, down here in central Texas, was the daughter of a "war bride." So for the coronation, she went home for the first time since she left to come here after the war, taking my friend Pat, and leaving the younger son with their father...It was all very exciting. Pat brought home lots of souvenirs. I was quite thrilled with it all. I couldn't hear enough, and devoured any magazines or other photos available before Pat got back. And now she has died. Amazing stamina.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This passing was felt not only by her immediate family, but the entire UK and the world which is a tribute to the late queen.

    ReplyDelete