Earlier posts

Earlier posts
This blog is a continuation of an older one. To explore previous posts please click the photo above.

Thursday 8 September 2022

Blue sky bliss

I had a short walk down to Shipley, quite early one morning, to fulfil some small errands. It was such a beautiful morning: blue sky, pleasantly warm, not a hint of breeze. I inevitably decided to return home the longer, more scenic way along the canal... just because I could. Every time I come this way it reminds me of all those years of walking to work and I am always so grateful and thrilled that now I don't have to work and can please myself how I spend my time. Bliss! I'll never take that for granted. 

The scenes are familiar, yet there is always something new to notice. The new retirement home, built where a redundant factory used to be, is on the way to completion. It is, though, such a boring, unimaginative piece of architecture - albeit it has a nice view over the canal. 

It also has to look over at the increasingly decrepit former British Waterways warehouse, though even that made an interesting reflection on such a wonderful morning. 

The stretch of towpath beside Jane Hills has so much overgrown vegetation along the canal's edge that it feels more like walking through woodland! 

The old boatmen's cottages have been there for a lot longer than the surrounding office blocks and business units - though they are soon to have new neighbours. The former HMRC offices behind are being sold for residential development. 


Nearing Saltaire, the view of Salts Mill along the canal is always intriguing and enticing. There are several narrowboats moored in Saltaire at present. The current drought has caused such low water levels that much of the canal is closed to through traffic for the foreseeable future so boat dwellers are effectively stuck in quite small sections. 


I've never noticed shoals of fish near the surface before, though you see them jumping occasionally and there are often fishermen so I know there are fish. Perhaps they were enjoying the sunshine and warm water or perhaps the low water means there isn't enough oxygen? I don't know enough about fish to judge. 


I spotted a colourful small tortoiseshell butterfly on a buddleia. Nothing special - either butterfly or flower - but still lovely to see. 

5 comments:

  1. A very pleasant day to be out and about.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love seeing the canal and the long boats. I wonder if their limited range will effect their sources of groceries and other needs. The fish are interesting. I would guess there are more in the smaller amounts of water available.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Just catching up blog reading, Jenny, and you are so right that retirement gives the freedom and the time to enjoy local sights even more. Thanks for the photo walk for which you had great weather for those reflections.

    ReplyDelete
  4. You had a gorgeous day for a walk.

    ReplyDelete
  5. The former Canal Carriers warehouse is not old. It was built after the Bradford Brach closed in 1922 to store wool for Bradford. An Ilkley architect has made excellent plans of this solid building. Maybe developers are frightened off by having to remove the asbestos canopy? I am genuinely surprised this well - built, yes, I have been inside - warehouse has not been transformed into luxury flats.

    ReplyDelete