Earlier posts

Earlier posts
This blog is a continuation of an older one. To explore previous posts please click the photo above.

Monday, 5 October 2026

Tree hugging


I'm very fortunate that, within a fifteen minute walk up or downhill, I can be surrounded by trees. A bit of 'tree hugging' or forest bathing is proven to bring calm and improve wellbeing. It usually works for me. Breathing in all the phytoncides that trees produce apparently triggers a spike in our body's natural killer (NK) cells and anti-cancer proteins, enhancing our ability to fight off infections. I don't really care why it works, I just keep doing it! 


6 comments:

  1. Even just looking at those photos is relaxing! :) I have the old cemetery nearby with huge old trees, and walk there almost daily. Not quite the same as a proper wood/forest but it comes close. I also see several trees just looking out from my windows, and I would not like to live anywhere where I could not see any trees at all!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I realised that when I was in the search for my new (current) home. One reason I chose this apartment is we have several mature trees on the drive, protected by conservation orders.

      Delete
  2. Isn't it great that something that feels so good is also good for you? I'm thinking a bit negatively of many people who use mood-enhancing things like alcohol, food, drugs, etc.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wonderful! My walks are greatly enhanced when they lead through woodland, or at least when there are some beautiful big trees along the path.

    ReplyDelete
  4. How wonderful that something so pleasant has so many health advantages!

    ReplyDelete