There have been several shops empty for many months on Victoria Road in Saltaire, which is always sad and doesn't do much for the area. Thankfully, within the last month or so, a couple of them have been opened up by new businesses. One of them - at No 5 - is Mason and Rose, which sells high-end home fragrances: reed diffusers, scented candles, wax melts, soap and lotions. They are made locally in small batches using mostly natural ingredients. The company have a small shop in Bingley and have expanded into these premises in Saltaire, hoping, I suppose, to attract some of the passing tourist trade. It's a lovely shop, thoughtfully and tastefully laid out inside - and it always smells gorgeous when you walk past the open door.
I don't think I'll be buying much as it is quite pricey. I'm not a fan of scented candles anyway, as they tend to smoke and ruin your decor over time. It's a welcome addition to the main street through the village, nevertheless.
Number 5 started off life as a general dealer in 1871, and then became a china shop, a fish and chop shop, a butcher's, a tea room, a junk shop, a photographic agency and a jeweller's. You can chart the development of Saltaire village through the changes in shops and businesses.
Another empty space - 3 Victoria Road - has recently been opened as a 'lovingly designed family café and community meeting place - your village living room (minus the tidying up)'. Bows and Beams is a place for grown-ups to relax and have a coffee (or some food) while their little ones play safely. It's registered as a 'Community Interest Company' - a type of limited company designed to benefit the community rather than generate profit for shareholders, and aims to provide 'free play' for children.
I've not (yet) ventured inside and when it's open it often looks quite busy, which is good. I rather like the alpacas in the window (usually quite a few of them) that seem quite loving - a couple of them were having a kiss the other day! Alpacas, of course, are Saltaire's unofficial mascot, since it was alpaca wool that made Sir Titus Salt his fortune.
Number 3 used to be a chemist's shop and by 1871 housed a cabinet maker and upholsterer. It then became an estate agent's office, a ladies and gent's outfitter, an antiques shop, and an art gallery. Quite a history!
Further up Victoria Road at No 14 is a bridal shop, which has been there some time but which I'm not sure I've ever photographed. The space used to be a nice café (Massarella's) and I was sad when that closed, though since then others have opened in the area. I think the bridal shop is open by appointment only. They often have gowns in the windows that are not exactly 'standard' bridal wear - coloured fabrics and unusual designs, though the two in my photo are fairly normal!
Number 14 started life as a boot and shoemaker's. In 1916 it became a butcher's, then a grocery, ladies hairdresser, a launderette, a gift shop and a junk shop. Massarella's opened in 1997 and traded for quite a few years as a café and art gallery.
In many ways I'd prefer Victoria Road in Saltaire to be full of 'ordinary shops' like greengrocers, butchers, as it was in the past. There is still a bakery and a little 'corner shop' off licence that sells sweets, wine, beers and cigarettes. The shops that are more useful for residents - plus a huge number of cafés and bars - are now all up on Gordon Terrace/Bingley Road.



No comments:
Post a Comment