Earlier posts

Earlier posts
This blog is a continuation of an older one. To explore previous posts please click the photo above.

Tuesday, 28 July 2026

Let there be light


Fife holiday 2026 #20

Whilst wandering the streets of St Andrews, I was delighted to come across a shop that still had its original Victorian cast iron and glass pavement lights, intended to allow a certain amount of light into the basement below. There used to be some in Saltaire but I think they have all been removed. The glass and iron deteriorates over time (those shown have been repaired with wood in places). I do like them. They usually look dusty and dull in situ but a bit of processing trickery lifts the colours. 

 

6 comments:

  1. They remind me of an artist's well-used palette or paint box! ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That was my first thought when I saw the photo!

      Delete
  2. I thought it was a paint box too.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am sure when they were newly installed, if you were in the basement and the sun was shining outside it made a lovely sight. Even now there is a certain beauty about them, in a rough sort of way.

    ReplyDelete
  4. It would be nice to keep them in some places just for history.

    ReplyDelete