There has been no significant rain for about a month around here and nature is definitely suffering as a result. Grassy areas are now hay - yellow and dusty - and even the small pond in the nature reserve is drying up. The water lilies that normally float are sticking up like regular plants as the water level is so low, and the water itself is choked full of weed. I don't think it is harmful algae but it doesn't look very nice, smothering the pond. There are still some damsel flies around but it didn't seem quite the healthy and abundant environment I'm used to seeing there.
I wanted a picture of the water lily flowers - and got a selfie too! It was only when I uploaded the image that I noticed that light green 'thing' at the top that doesn't really look very natural. I'm not sure what it was; perhaps one of those foam kneeling mats that gardeners use? Really needs fishing out, anyway!


No comments:
Post a Comment